Friday, December 2, 2016

Andre King, Growing Up Hip Hop Star, Comes Out as Gay

Andre King has come out as gay.


The reality star, who is good friends with Angela Simmons and who is also the brother of Swizz Beatz, talked about his sexuality on last night’s installment of his WE tv reality series, Growing Up Hip Hop.


He also spoke to E! News about why he decided to reveal this personal tidbit to the world.



“I came to [my family] and I was just honest and I said, ‘You know what, I have something that’s been laying on me and I just really want to tell you guys something,’ and I just told them that I am gay and just identify as me,” King told E!.


“They were just really proud of me and happy and they all gave me so much love and just really said, you know, this is big.


“This is bigger than you doing your reality [show], this is your reality. That felt so good to get the love.”


Like so many other celebrities (and, heck, people in general) who have come out of the closest, King went on to say that hearing his family’s reaction to his news was a very “powerful” moment for him.


“It was so embracive and there was so much love, it felt like such a weight lifted off of me,” he noted.



How did his famous brother react?


Or his famous sister-in-law, Alicia Keys?


King said he was “nervous” to make his confession to them, but…


“I said I wish I would’ve come to them so much earlier and I probably wouldn’t have gone through so many things that I’ve been through,” he explained, adding:


“They literally were like, ‘Dre, it’s OK, we love you. We accept you no matter what. It’s all good. It’s all love."”



King concludes that Simmons has been nothing but supportive and helpful through this time.


And he does have some advice for anyone else thinking of making a similar announcement to friends, family members or loved ones.


“I’m kind of glad that everything’s happening now, everything happens for a reason and timing is everything…I feel like it’s a new journey, it’s a new chapter and it’s just great things.


“There’s been so much great feedback from my friends, my family and people that just know me. I can say it’s a powerful thing that I’m doing and people are like you’re going to inspire someone else to do the same thing, to come out and just let people know it’s OK to be you.


“It’s OK to be different. It’s honestly dope to be different.”


Amen.



ReadMore…