Friday, December 1, 2017

Matt Lauer Receives Unexpected Support From...

Matt Lauer doesn’t have many friends at the moment.


How could he, considering the former Today Show anchor is accused of horribly inappropriate actions against ex-colleagues that might even include rape?



But one unexpected individual has actually come out in Lauer’s defense.


Nancy Alspaugh – who was married to the embattled journalist from 1981 through 1988 – spoke to Entertainment Tonight about her ex-husband’s scandal and actually sounded supportive.


Very supportive, in fact.


“I was shocked because he’s been such a stalwart at that network and in that job,” television producer Alspaugh said of her reaction when she learn Lauer had been fired.


She added:


“He’s been the best person that’s ever held that job and I couldn’t imagine that anything that he would have done – that would have been so out of character for him – that would have caused that reaction.”


Lauer and Alspaugh did not split up on bad terms.


But the latter did tell The National Enquirer at one point that she was NOT surprised when rumors started to circulate that Lauer cheated on his second wife.



As you’ve likely read about by now, it was announced Wednesday that Lauer had been terminated from his position as longtime host of the NBC morning program after NBC received a “detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace.”


That is how executives framed the accusation against Lauer, which was made by a former network staffer.


Savannah Guthrie opened the show on Wednesday by reading a statement from NBC News Chairman Andrew Lack, in which he stated the following:


“While it is the first complaint about his behavior in the over twenty years he’s been at NBC News, we were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident.”


In the hours since, details came out that painted Lauer as a creep at best… and a sexual predator at worst.


Sources say he gifted co-workers with sex toys and dropped in pants in front of one woman at least, demanding sexual favors.



“I never saw him as a power monger or somebody who would abuse his position in any way,” Alspaugh told ET about Lauer.


She adds that she has reached out to her ex-husband, but is yet to hear anything back.


She does give Lauer her support, “one hundred percent” of it, and says:


“He’s just a very giving person and charming and I think a lot of this stuff is obviously going to come to light, whether it’s true or not, and some of the things that are being stated may not be true.


“We have to find that out, you know?


“As time goes on here, people should be aware there’s a family involved here.


“There are three children and that’s – I think it’s important to be aware that this can destroy a family.


“Reporting on accusations before they know whether they’re real or not.”



On Thursday, Lauer released the following statement in response to the allegations swirling around him:


There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions.


To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry. As I am writing this, I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC.


Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed.


I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly.


Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching, and I’m committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full time job.


The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It’s been humbling. I am blessed to be surrounded by people I love.


I thank them for their patience and grace.


ReadMore…