Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Dwayne Johnson: No, Really, I May Run for President!

Dwayne Johnson really wants to make sure you know what he may be cooking up for his future.


Several months after rumors first circulated that the actor may run for President in 2020, Johnson spoke to GQ and confirmed that the really is considering this possibility.



Explains the magazine’s latest cover subject:


“A year ago, it started coming up more and more.


“There was a real sense of earnestness, which made me go home and think, ‘Let me really rethink my answer and make sure I am giving an answer that is truthful and also respectful.”


Johnson first broached this seemingly ridiculous topic upon being crowned Sexiest Man Alive by People last year.


“I started to really think,” he told the publication in November, adding of his mindset:


“Could I make a difference? Could I surround myself with really brilliant people to help me make decisions? Do I care about this country?


“And when the answers continued to come up yes, then I thought, there’s a good chance.”



If you’re thinking this sounds utterly preposterous, due to Johnson’s lack of political experience, consider two things:


  1. His finishing move as a WWE Superstar was named The People’s Elbow.

  2. Donald Trump is currently President.

Both Trump and Hillary Clinton asked Johnson for his endorsement last year, he says.


And while this doesn’t make him a qualified candidate on its own, it does make him realize that folks out there care about his opinion.


“I feel like I’m in a position now where my word carries a lot of weight and influence, which of course is why they want the endorsement,” Johnsol tells GQ.


“But I also have a tremendous amount of respect for the process and felt like if I did share my political views publicly, a few things would happen.”


Such as?


“I felt like it would either (a) make people unhappy with the thought of whatever my political view was. And, also, it might sway an opinion, which I didn’t want to do.”


This is why Johnson turned down all overtures for an endorsement last election.



But in light of all that’s happened in just over 100 days since Trump took office, Johnson has a lot to think about.


He’s already an expert at giving political responses.


Just consider the way he refuses to overtly slam Trump when asked for his take by GQ, simply saying instead:


“Personally, I feel that if I were president, poise would be important. Leadership would be important. Taking responsibility for everybody.


“[If I didn’t agree with someone] on something, I wouldn’t shut them out. I would actually include them.”


Based on the results of November’s election, someone with this attitude will never be elected to The White House.



There is one area in which Johnson is happy to speak out, however.


He wants everyone to know what he thinks about the administration’s Muslin ban, and that is this:


“I completely disagree with it. I believe in our national security to the core, but I don’t believe in a ‘ban’ that bans immigrants. I believe in inclusion.


“Our country was built on that, and it continues to be made strong by that.”


Not a bad starting point for a Presidential platform, huh?


Would you vote Dwayne Johnson for President of the United States?















ReadMore…