Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Tiger Woods: Sorry for DUI, But... I Wasn"t Drunk!

Tiger Woods is not asking for a mulligan.


The legendary golfer admits in a new statement that he got arrested early Monday morning in Florida for DUI and he says it’s his responsibility and he’s very sorry.


HOWEVER, Woods also insists that alcohol did not play a role in this unfortunate incident.



As previously reported, Tiger Woods was arrested around 3 a.m. yesterday on suspicion of driving under the influence and was released on his own recognizance a few hours later.


The bust took place in Jupiter, about eight miles from the athlete’s house.


Law enforcement sources told TMZ shortly afterward that Woods “driving erratically, all over the road” in his 2015 Mercedes when the police pulled him over.


The officer at the scene reportedly smelled alcohol on Tiger’s’ breath and described the star as “arrogant.”


Woods then refused to take a breathalyzer test, which prompts an automatic arrest and license suspension in Florida.


Such behavior would lead one to presume Woods was rather wasted, but the golfer (it’s true! Tiger Woods was once very good at golf!) says in his statement that he wasn’t drunk at all.



“I understand the severity of what I did and I take full responsibility for my actions,” said Woods on Monday evening, adding:


“I want the public to know that alcohol was not involved.  


“What happened was an unexpected reaction to prescribed medications. I didn’t realize the mix of medications affected me so strongly.


“I would like to apologize with all my heart to my family, friends, and the fans. I expect more from myself, too.


“I will do everything in my power to ensure this never happens again.”


Concluded Woods:


“I fully cooperated with law enforcement, and I would like to personally thank the representatives of the Jupiter Police Dept. and the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office for their professionalism.”


We don’t know at this time whether or not any tests were done at the police station to determine Woods’ blood-alcohol content.


So we may never have definitive proof of whether he’s telling the truth about his alcohol consumption.



But Tiger did undergo back surgery last month. On April 19, to be exact.


The fusion in his lower back means he will miss the rest of the 2017 golf season, but Tiger said at the time that such “instant nerve relief” led to him feeling his best in years.


It marked Tiger’s fourth back surgery since 2014.


“The long-term prognosis is positive,” Woods said just a few weeks ago.


“My surgeon and physiotherapist say the operation was successful. It’s just a matter of not screwing up and letting it fuse. I’m walking and doing my exercises, and taking my kids to and from school.


“All I can do is take it day by day. There’s no hurry.


“But, I want to say unequivocally, I want to play professional golf again.


“Presently, I’m not looking ahead. I can’t twist for another two and a half to three months. Right now, my sole focus is rehab and doing what the doctors tell me.


“I am concentrating on short-term goals.”



Back in 2009, when the downfall of Tiger Woods as an athlete and a human being began, Woods slammed into a tree while behind the wheel of a car.


It happened after then-wife Elin Nordegren learned her husband had been cheating (prolifically!) on her and it was reported at the time that Tiger was under the influence of ambien when the accident occurred.


He did not face any criminal charges as a result.


In this case, TMZ claims that Woods’ girlfriend, Kristin Smith, learned about the arrest while shopping at a Neiman Marcus store in Dallas.


Someone allegedly called her to explain what happened – and then, according to multiple onlookers, “she went crazy” and said “I knew it, I knew it.”


Knew that Woods was cheating on her, perhaps?


Smith must be assuming that Woods could only have been in his car at 3 a.m. because he was either head to or coming from some kind of booty call.



Smith broke down in tears, spent $ 5,000 at the store and left, TMZ writes.


That’s some damn impressive reporting if true.


It’s almost as impressive as Tiger’s former mastery of the golf course, which now seems like a lifetime ago. How sad.


ReadMore…