Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Katy Perry Confirms Taylor Swift Feud, Challenges Rival to "Finish It"

Yes, okay?!?


Katy Perry appeared as a guest on a special edition of The Late Late Show on Monday evening and finally said yes a million times over:


Yes, she wrote a new song about Taylor Swift and, yes, the singers have been engaged in a pretty intense feud for years now.



Ever since Swift released the revenge track “Bad Blood” – a song clearly written about Perry, even if Taylor would not come directly out and state as much – Katy has mostly avoided the rivalry.


She’s mentioned it in vague terms here and there, but never to the extent that she discussed it last night with Corden.


“There’s a situation. Honestly, it’s really like she started it, and it’s time for her to finish it,” the singer told the comedian during a special installment of his Carpool Karaoke segment.


Footage from the appearance is not available online.


But Perry went on to confirm the account Swift gave back in the day:


“It’s about backing dancers, there were three backing dancers,” Perry told Corden. “I tried to talk to her about it and she wouldn’t speak to me.”



Swift has not cited Perry by name as any point in their feud.


During an interview with Rolling Stone in promotion of her world tour, shortly after “Bad Blood” came out, however, she said the following:


“For years, I was never sure if we were friends or not. She would come up to me at awards shows and say something and walk away, and I would think, ‘Are we friends, or did she just give me the harshest insult of my life?’”


Swift went on to say this fellow artist “did something so horrible,” elaborating:


“I was like, ‘Oh, we’re just straight-up enemies.’ And it wasn’t even about a guy! It had to do with business.


“She basically tried to sabotage an entire arena tour. She tried to hire a bunch of people out from under me. And I’m surprisingly non-confrontational – you would not believe how much I hate conflict.


“So now I have to avoid her. It’s awkward, and I don’t like it.”


Maybe it’s awkward for Swift and Perry.


But it’s been glorious for all of us in the celebrity gossip business!



During her Carpool Karaoke segment, Perry went into detail regarding this backup dancer business:


“It’s so crazy!” she said, attempting to explain:


“Okay, so there are three backing dancers that went on tour with her tour, right? And they asked me before they went on tour if they could go, and I was like, ‘Yeah, of course. I’m not on a record cycle and get the work, and she’s great and all that.


‘But I will be on a record cycle probably in about a year. So be sure to put a 30-day contingency in your contract so you can get out if you want to join me when I say I’m going back on.’


“That year came up, right? And I texted all of them because I’m very close with them and I said, ‘Look, just FYI, I’m about to start. I want to put the word out there.


“They said, ‘Okay, we’re going to go and talk to management about it.’ And they did, and they got fired.”


Did Perry try to reasonably speak to Swift? Yes, she claims.


“I do the right thing any time that it feels like a fumble. It was a full shutdown and then she writes a song about me. I’m like, ‘Okay, cool. Cool. That’s how you want to deal with it? Karma.’



Perry says she’s ready for ready for this “BS to be done.”


But the ball is in Swift’s court.


“There is the law of cause and effect. You do something and there’s gonna be a reaction. And trust me, daddy, there’s gonna be a reaction,” Perry says.


Katy released “Swish Swish” earlier this month and just performed it on Saturday Night Live.


Most people assumed right off the bat that it was her attempt at getting back at Swift.


“I think, personally, that women together – not divided and, like, none of this petty shit – women together will heal the world,” Perry said in response to whether she’s prepared to end her beef with Swift.



What would happen if Swift were to text Perry?


Would she accept an apology and move on?


“One hundred percent,” Katy told Corden.


Perry’s new album, Witness, comes out on June 9.


ReadMore…