Thursday, November 16, 2017

Lil Peep Dies; Singer and YouTube Star Was 21 Years Old

Lil Peep, an emerging singer and popular presence on YouTube, died this week from an alleged drug overdose.


He was only 21 years old.



Born Gustav Ahr, the artist’s death has been confirmed by a representative for the artist to the Guardian.


The cause of death, it should be noted, has not actually been made official.


But Chase Ortega – who Billboard has cited as Peep’s manager – Tweeted a cryptic message on Wednesday night, writing on his social media page:


“I’ve been expecting this call for a year. Mother f-ck.” 


Lil Peep had just released his debut album, Come Over When You’re Sober, Pt. 1, three months ago.


The singer’s girlfriend, Arzaylea Rodriguez, took to Instagram to share a heartfelt message about her the artist in light of his passing.


“I can’t believe i’m writing this. you’re in my heart. i’m always yours. i don’t have words to express what you’ve done for me in such little time,” she wroet, adding:


“i love you so much. you live forever in me. i don’t know how to do any of this without you now… i love you so much i want to wake up from this nightmare.”



Lil Peep grew up on Long Island.


He took it upon himself to break int the music industry, recording his own songs on a $ 200 microphone that he plugged into his laptop.


Most of his tracks were about drugs, suicide and failed relationships.


Considered an artist on the rise, Peep was referred to as the “future of emo” in a Pitchfork article this past January.


He had a sizable following on YouTube (over 367,000 subscribers) and on Instagram (over 967,000 followers), often posting about his drug use on the latter platform.


In an eerie message shared to his Instagram account on Tuesday, for example, Lil Peep captioned a photo of his shirtless body:


“When I die You’ll love me.”



In response to this sad news, many stars and collaborators expressed their shock and grief online.


Wrote Mikey Cortez:


“I’m completely heart broken and lost right now. I can’t even feel it’s not real. I love you and I’ll miss you always. One of the realest. Please someone tell me this isn’t real.”


And Diplo: 


“Peep had so much more to do man he was constantly inspiring me. I dont feel good man.”


And Pete Wentz:


“No. Not lil peep. There’s something about this that hurts a little bit more… I mean @DCD2records went to his show last week- when I talked to him on ig I felt so connected. Tough to process.”


And Sam Smith:


“Seeing the news of Lil Peep is so desperately sad.”




peep tributes


We want to emphasize that no cause of death has been confirmed.


A few initial reports suggest that it may have been due to a drug overdose after the 21-year-old rapper took fake Xanax that was laced with Fentanyl, a powerful opioid.


Lil Peep was booked to next perform in Tucson, Arizona this week.


May he rest in peace.



ReadMore…