Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Demi Lovato: I Got Too Fired Up About Taylor Swift

Demi Lovato would like to explain herself.


The singer made headlines on Monday when she dared to attack America’s Sweetheart, but she’s now gone back on Twitter to clarify her comments regarding Taylor Swift.



In all started when a judge dismissed Kesha’s request to get out of her contract with Dr. Luke after the artist claimed in court that the producer drugged her and abused her in the past.


Swift responded to this outcome by donating $ 250,000 to Kesha and her continued legal battle against Dr. Luke.


But Lovato actually took issue with this gesture, basically Tweeting that it’s easy to give money.


What’s hard is to take a real stand against serious issues such as rape and women’s rights.


“Take something to Capitol Hill or actually speak out about something and then I’ll be impressed,” Lovato said about Swift, also calling her fellow singer out for being too “politically correct” all the time.


Now, however, Lovato seems to realize that she may have made some strong points about celebrity activism… but Swift still did give away $ 250,000.


That really isn’t something one ought to criticize.


“As most people know, I tend to get fired up about the things I believe in,” Lovato Tweeted as a follow-up, adding:


“And although my heart and intentions are always in the right place, unfortunately sometimes my passion gets the best of me and causes me to say things that I probably shouldn’t say.”


We’ve all been there, right?



“And when doing so takes away from the real reason I am speaking up in the first place,” she continued.


“Our focus should be on the topic of victims of sexual and physical abuse being afraid to come forward with their stories. They’re more likely to face retaliation and harassment than to see justice being serviced. Especially women.”


With uproar over the Internet regarding the Kesha-Dr. Luke case, the former came out yesterday and said he never raped the singer.


“It baffles me that when it comes to serious issues like equality and abuse, too often women are not taken as seriously as men,” Lovato wrote.


“All I want to see is women coming together and actually making a difference. A real change and shift in society.”


Here is how Demi concluded:


Everyone has their own way of giving support to others, and at the end of the day, helping victims is all that matters.


Ultimately, the message I want people to hear is it’s okay to come forward with your abuse and if you do decide to take action, you are not alone.