Monday, February 27, 2017

Casey Affleck Fails at Acceptance Speech with Glaring Omission

In his acceptance speech at the 2017 Academy Awards, Casey Affleck forgot to give a shout-out that he says he will never live down.


While accepting his Oscar for Best Actor, the 41-year-old actor forgot to thank his son and daughter – and he"s devastated by it now.



“My head was completely blank,” the Manchester By the Sea star admitted backstage at the show in the Oscar press room.


“The shock of winning the award and the terror of having a microphone in front of you and all of those faces staring at you.” 


“I didn’t thank my children, which is something I’ll probably never ever live down,” the star said, devastated at the oversight.


“About three seconds after I made it backstage, my phone rang and my son said, ‘You didn’t even mention us.’ And my heart just sank.”


“So, you know," Affleck added, "that probably would have been the most meaningful thing I could have said, and I failed.” 



Forgot about his kids? Must be still in character!


(Sorry, but if the opportunity to drop the ever-elusive Manchester By the Sea spoiler/joke presents itself, you gotta take it people).


We doubt it makes Casey feel any better, but Kenneth Lonergan, who won the Oscar for Original Screenplay, did mention his child.


She was not thrilled about it, so you can"t win.


“My daughter who is 15 was extremely irritated that I mentioned her at all. So you can’t really win,” the Manchester writer said.


Casey and his former wife Summer Phoenix, 38, share two children together: son Atticus, 9, and daughter Indiana, 12.


While not as bad as the Oscars Best Picture fail courtesy of Price Waterhouse Coopers, Affleck may have a hard time forgiving himself.


He did thank others close to him, however.



Affleck thanked his parents, brother Ben Affleck, 44, co-producer Matt Damon, 46, his friends and fellow nominee Denzel Washington.


As his younger brother spoke, Ben got teary-eyed.


“I wasn’t sure if he was just … I saw [that] and thought maybe I’m just not making a good speech and he was really disappointed,” Casey said.


“But I think he was probably touched."


"I think that we are … I mean, not to brag or anything, but I think we’re the only two brothers to win Academy Awards, ever.”


That is pretty cool, and hopefully his kids forgive him someday. Watch a clip from his deer-in-the-headlights speech below.


Casey affleck oscars acceptance speech who did he forget
ReadMore…