Monday, April 30, 2018

Miley Cyrus Retracts Nude Photo Apology, Curses Off Critics

At this stage of her life and career, Miley Cyrus can simulate oral sex on a carrot and spank the Easter Bunny and pretty much no one cares.


That’s just how the singer rolls sometimes.


But let’s take a trip back to 2008, shall we?



A full decade ago, photographer Annie Leibovitz shot a then-15-year-old Miley for Vanity Fair.


And forget Kim Kardashian sticking her butt out in order to rest a glass of champagne on it, THIS picture nearly broke the Internet, considering it featured a very young Cyrus naked.


She was covered by a sheet, but she was fully naked underneath said sheet.


For someone not yet old enough to drive, and someone mostly known at that point for starring on The Disney Channel, this was a jarring image.


See it for yourself below:



And we know what you must be thinking right now:


What? Huh? That picture caused controversy?!?


Cyrus has gotten nude quite a few times since!


It’s true, we know.


But this was 2008. The world was not ready to see Cyrus in such brazen fashion, especially not a 15-year old Cyrus.


“I had a big blanket on. And I thought, ‘This looks pretty, and really natural,"” she told the magazine at the time. “I think it’s really artsy.”


Later on, however, once the backlash really grew intense, Miley issued a different kind of statement.



She said the following as a Mea Culpa:


My goal in my music and my acting is always to make people happy.


For Vanity Fair, I was so honored and thrilled to work with Annie. I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be ‘artistic’ and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed.


I never intended for any of this to happen and I apologize to my fans who I care so deeply about.


In a separate statement, Leibovitz said:


“I’m sorry that my portrait of Miley has been misinterpreted. Miley and I looked at fashion photographs together and we discussed the picture in that context before we shot it… I think it is very beautiful.”


So of all that provides context to Miley’s latest Tweet, which she wrote 10 years after this scandal exploded and which explains how she now feels about the topic:




Miley Cyrus eff you


Including the front page of The New York Post from April 2008, under the headline “MILEY’S SHAME,” Cyrus has retracted the above apology.


“IM NOT SORRY. F–k YOU. #10yearsago,” she wrote.


Cyrus Miley had last addressed the scandalous shoot in 2015.


“Our world revolves around sex. Like, when I did this photo shoot with Annie Leibovitz when I was 14 or 15, everyone jumped to make it this sexual thing,” she told Time Magazine, adding:


“But I never thought of it as sexual. Annie never thought of taking a sexual photo of a teenager. But everyone made it something it wasn’t.”



All these years later, we do understand a lot of the criticism this snapshot produced.


Miley was just so young and the world was not ready to see her as anything but Hannah Montana, let alone as someone willing to pose in such a manner.


But now that we’ve seen what Miley does with a foam finger?


It’s safe to say we’ve been seeing Cyrus in a brand new light for awhile now and we’re very used to it and very cool with it.


ReadMore…