Thursday, January 21, 2016

Amy Schumer: I Didn"t Steal Any Jokes!

It’s nearly as taboo as speaking out against Taylor Swift these days, but a group of comedians has come together and put Amy Schumer on notice.


They claim the beloved star has stolen a handful of stand-up jokes, which is pretty much the biggest crime on can commit in this industry.



In a series of Tweets this week, Wendy Liebman, Tammy Pescatelli and Kathleen Madigan ganged up on Schumer, allegedling the Trainwreck star ganked material from each of them.


“Between Amy Schumer doing 1 of my best jokes on her HBO special and this meme of my joke, I’m done with social media,” Liebman wrote in a message that has since been deleted.


Chuck Martin (a writer on Arrested Development) proceeded to jump in and tell Liebman to bring up this topic with fellow comedian Madigan.


He referred to Schumer’s supposed joke-stealing as “maddening.”


Enter Pescatelli from there, who also responded to Liebman’s tweet about Schumer.


Though her reply has since been deleted, it read at one time:


“What has always been amazing to me is that she purports to be a feminist and yet only steals from other female comedians. If we call her on it we are ‘jealous’ or career shamed.


“Be successful. WE want you to do well, just do it will your own material.”



Schumer, who previously denied taking a joke from late friend Patrice O’Neal, denied the latest round allegations on Jim Norton’s SiriusXM radio show on Wednesday.


“I’m being accused of stealing jokes and I wanted to come and talk to you about it and clear my name,” said Schumer.


“Because I would never, ever do that and I never have. And I’m literally going to take a polygraph test and put it on my show this season.”


She then added via Twitter:


“On my life, I have never and would never steal a joke.”


We believe her.


And Liebman, who started this entire controversy in the first place, has now taken to her Twitter account to clarify her position:


“I never said @amyschumer stole my joke.I just said it was the same.It’s possible we both wrote it.I just wanted you to know I wrote it 1st.”