Saturday, May 7, 2016

Kristen Bell Opens Up About Depression & Anxiety Struggles: I"m Not Ashamed

Bless you, Kristen Bell.


The actress, known for her perky personality and roles in comedies such as Forgetting Sarah Marshall and The Boss, reveals that she has struggled with depression and anxiety for years.


"I"m extremely codependent," she confessed during an interview with Off Camera.


"I shatter a little bit when I think people don"t like me," she continued. "That"s part of why I lead with kindness and I compensate by being very bubbly all the time, because it really hurts my feelings when I know I"m not liked." 


"And I know that"s not very healthy, and I fight it all the time."


Bell revealed that anxiety and depression runs in her family, and that her mother and maternal grandmother suffered as well.


"There is a serotonin imbalance in our family line," she explained.


She went on to disclose that her grandmother was one of the first to receive electroshock therapy for the condition.


"She would lock herself in her bedroom and drink for two days and they would slide food under the door," she said. "It was rough."



Bell said she was diagnosed when she was young, and while she puts on a cheery facade, she does a lot of work internally and takes prescription medication.


"I check in with myself and I need to exercise," she said.


"I got on a prescription when I was really young to help with my anxiety and depression, and I still take it today," added the actress.


While she admits that the public may scrutinize those who suffer, she feels no shame.


Instead, she likens depression and anxiety to any other disease that should be treated medically.


"The world wants to shame you for that, but in the medical community, you would never deny a diabetic his insulin.”


 


Kristen bell opens up about depression and anxiety struggles im