Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Caitlyn Jenner Honored as Glamour Woman of the Year, Gives Stirring Speech

Caitlyn Jenner was among the influential females honored on Monday night at the Glamour Women of the Year Awards.


The reality star – who came out as transgender in an April interview with Diane Sawyer prior to introducing herself as Caitlyn on the cover of Vanity Fair a few weeks later – was hailed at the event as “The Trans Champion.”



She then moved the audience to tears, cheers and laughter during her stirring acceptance speech at New York’s Carnegie Hall.


“There was a French activist and writer, Simone de Beauvoir, who said, ‘You are not born woman. You become one’ … Words I live by,” she joked at the outset of her speech.


Back in July, Caitlyn Jenner also won an ESPY for courage, bringing the crowd to its feet at the time with her inspirational message.


“I am so blessed I have family, Caitlyn added. “And not one of them has abandoned me; they’ve all been support of me. It’s incredible.”


Jenner said these words in a video collage before taking the stage, as Kylie Jenner said in the audience as a show of support for her father.



“Of all the things I’ve done in my life, Caity is why God put me on this earth: to tell my story; to be honest with myself about who I am,” Jenner said.


“And in doing that, making a difference in the world. And I’m very happy to be living on the other side.”


Caitlyn also noted that she finally for her driver’s license last week, with the picture and gender marker reading “F.”


She talked openly about conversations she had with her pastor about her “issues,” and explained how she sat with each of her 10 children to discuss what was going on.


“Because for so many years, I lost my enthusiasm for life,” Caitlyn said. “Literally, sitting in my house for almost six years. Because I never really wanted to come out – just to go to work, that was about it.


“Now, actually, I like going out. And I like being myself.


“And in doing that, it’s been an amazing the opportunity we have for change, for people to understand this issue because it’s so difficult.”


The real question now remains this: Will Caitlyn Jenner end up with the ultimate honor, THG Celebrity of the Year?


Tune in next month to find out!