Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Scarlett Johansson Named Highest Grossing Actress in History, But Still Disappointed

Scarlett Johansson just scored a major milestone in her career, but the achievement is bittersweet.



The actress was recently named the highest grossing actress in history by Box Office Mojo.


However, the Avengers star was the only woman to come in the top 10, and she finds the lack of her female peers on the list “disappointing.”


“It’s exciting to be the only woman in the category,” Johansson told Extra.


“It is kind of disappointing, actually, to be the only woman in this category. That was a little bit of a surprise to me,” she explained.


Even more surprising is that only one other woman, Cameron Diaz, made the top 20 on the list. 



Earlier this month, Johansson spoke to Cosmopolitan about the gender pay gap in Hollywood.


“There’s something icky about me having that conversation unless it applies to a greater whole,” she said.


“I am very fortunate, I make a really good living, and I’m proud to be an actress who’s making as much as many of my male peers at this stage…


“I think every woman has [been underpaid], but unless I’m addressing it as a larger problem, for me to talk about my own personal experience with it feels a little obnoxious.


“It’s part of a larger conversation about feminism in general.”


Johansson joins a number of celebrities, including Patricia Arquette, Meryl Streep and Jennifer Lawrence who have expressed chagrin at the Hollywood double standard when it comes to salary.


Coming in at number one on the Box Office Mojo list is Harrison Ford, followed by Samuel L. Jackson and Morgan Freeman.