Friday, March 4, 2016

Joey Feek Dies; Country Singer Was 40 Years Old

Joey Feek, the country and gospel singer whose brave battle with cancer made headlines over the past several months, died on Friday while surrounded by friends and family members.


She was 40 years old.



Husband Rory Feek, who comprised one half of music duo with his wife and who chronicled her journey on his blog, confirmed the news via a post titled “A Dream Come True.”


“My wife’s greatest dream came true today.  She is in Heaven,” Rory wrote.


Joey was diagnosed with cervical cancer in May 2014, just four months after giving birth to her daughter, Indiana.


“The cancer is gone, the pain has ceased and all her tears are dry,” Rory wrote this afternoon.


“Joey is in the arms of her beloved brother Justin and using her pretty voice to sing for her savior. At 2:30 this afternoon, as we were gathered around her, holding hands and praying.. my precious bride breathed her last.”


Rory spent the final few weeks of his wife’s life keeping fans apprised of her progress, often sharing photos of Joey and their daughter.


He had told blog followers earlier in the week that he didn’t think Joey had much time left.


“A few more days,” he wrote at the time of how long he presumed Joey would still be with us, adding:


“In the 40 short years that Joey has lived, my bride has accomplished many great things… she’s lived a very full life.  


“But even more than that, she has loved those around her greatly and been loved greatly in return. I can honestly say that Joey’s isn’t just a life well-lived, it’s a life well-loved.”


Joey and Rory were married in 2002 and their group, Joey + Rory, was nominated for a Grammy earlier this year.


“I pray that one morning I just don’t wake up,” she said in her final interview with The Tennessean.


“But I don’t fear anything because I’m so close to God and we’ve talked about it so many times. I know he’s close. And I know he loves me. I’m really at peace.”