Friday, March 11, 2016

Kristin Cavallari: Why She HAD To Call Off Wedding to Jay Cutler

I’m kind of loving these big reveals.



Kristin Cavallari is promoting her new book, Balancing In Heels, which – if the excerpts on E! are any indication – won’t disappoint Laguna Beach fans.


Cavallari did not have nearly as much fun on the MTV series as many were led to believe.  In fact, the producers sounded like manipulative douche lords who equated teenage problems with ratings gold (they were right).


Cavallari was vulnerable.  Her parents had split up and it had left emotional scars that producers were ready to exploit.


“I was only 17! I had some anger stored up from my parents’ divorce and my new stepfamilies, which the producers saw,” Cavallari wrote.


“They put me in situations where they knew I would react. I was a fighter back then: When I felt threatened, I acted. So when I felt the producers were trying to break up my relationship, I ended up becoming exactly what they wanted from the get-go…When I acted out, they won.”


A few years later, Cavallari’s publicist told her that Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler wanted to fly her to Chicago for a date.


Cavallari gave the invitation a hard pass, having had a bad experience with a similar proposition from another athlete.


“A year later, a year in which I grew up a lot and felt serious about meeting a good man…I called up my publicist and got us family passes to meet Jay after the game.”


Cavallari describe their romance as “swift” and “intense,” and Cutler proposed after just eight months of dating.


Three months after that, Cavallari call the engagement off.


“I always go after what I want in life, with men or otherwise, and I never settle. If something doesn’t feel right, I act on it. It’s just who I’ve always been,” Cavallari explained.


“And at that moment, something wasn’t right. A few things needed to change, and I knew the only way Jay would see how serious I was, was if I ended the relationship.”


Cavallari was miserable during the break, but knew it was for the best if she wanted to end up with Cutler.


In order for their relationship to stand the test of time, the reality star needed to carve out her own professional path.


“If I stayed at home, I wouldn’t be happy and would probably end up resenting Jay for it,” Cavallari wrote.


She and Cutler got back together and started attending therapy.


“I credit [the therapist] for saving our relationship,” Cavallari revealed. “She opened up our eyes to the other person’s perspective and gave us great tools for communication…we still periodically see her to this day.”


Cavallari and Cutler married on June 8th,  2013 in Nashville, and have three children together- sons Camden and Max, and daughter, Saylor, born in November 2015.