Monday, April 11, 2016

Doug Banks Dies; Veteran Radio Host Was 57

Doug Banks, a longtime radio host and television personality, passed away at his home in Florida on Monday.


He was 57 years old.



According to The Chicago Tribune, the Windy City-based DJ due to complications from diabetes and kidney failure.


“He was one of the nicest guys I’ve ever known,” said Marv Dyson, a friend and the former president and general manager of WGCI FM 107.5 and WVAZ FM 102.7.


The latter was the flagship station of the Ride With Doug and DeDe Show, which later turned into the Doug Banks Radio Show.


“The money and the fame never changed him one iota,” Dyson added to the aforementioned newspaper.


“And he had that special gift of making every listener feel like he was only taking to them. On the air and off the air, he was always just a normal guy.”


Banks kicked off his career in Detroit at age 16 prior to moving to Chicago. Once there, he began out working for station WBMX.



DeDe McGuire, Doug’s co-host for 17 years, paid tribute to Banks via Instagram after learning the sad news, writing the following:


Today I lost a brother, a friend, a mentor, my teacher, a life changer, a RADIO LEGEND…Doug Banks! He passed away today from complications of Diabetes. I worked, traveled, spent holidays with Doug for SEVENTEEN years! I owe much of my success to him!


He was THE best, most humble, easy working person I have ever come in contact within Radio. As I mourn the loss of my friend and reminisce about our good times, I can only keep thinking of his two beautiful girls. Kennede and Kelly..


My prayers are with you, your Mom and your entire family. RIP Doug Banks, it was a PRIVILEDGE to work with you! I love you!,” she shared alongside a photo of them together.


Banks is survived by his wife and three daughters.