Thursday, October 22, 2015

Gus Kenworthy, Olympic Freeskier, Comes Out as Gay

Gus Kenworthy has come out as gay.


The Olympic freeskier covers the latest issue of ESPN the Magazine, touting the issue on his Instagram account and writing as a caption to the photo:



“I am gay. Wow, it feels good to write those words.”


The 24-year-old Olympic silver medalist then added a lengthy, moving post about what it means to him to be coming out a gay athlete in the modern world.


“For most of my life I’ve been afraid to embrace that truth about myself,” he wrote.


“Recently though, I’ve gotten to the point where the pain of holding onto the lie is greater than the fear of letting go, and I’m proud to finally be letting my guard down.”


Kenworthy says he was aware of his sexuality from an early age, admitting to bouts of anxiety and depression since entering the public eye at 16.


While in Sochi for the 2014 Winer Games, Kenworthy actually became a viral sensation after he rescued five stray dogs off the street.


He says he has no idea what to expect now that the world knows his secret, but he takes comfort in living a “genuine” life at last.


“Looking back, it’s crazy to see how far I’ve come,” he wrote on Instagram. “For most of my life I’ve dreaded the day that people would find out I was gay.


“Now, I couldn’t be more excited to tell you all the truth….


“Y’all have supported me through a lot of my highs and lows and I hope you’ll stay by my side as I make this transformation into the genuine me – the me that I’ve always really been.”