Sunday, November 22, 2015

Phuc Dat Bich to Facebook: Stop Shutting Down My Page! That"s My Real Name!

Phuc Dat Bich, an Australian man with a name so awesome that no one believes it’s real, has had it with Facebook shutting down his account.



The social media giant may boast one billion users, but the awkward veracity of PDB’s name still stands out enough to get flagged routinely.


His account has been suspended several times now, a fact he recently lamented in a post that went viral with over 200,000 Likes and Shares.


“I find it highly irritating the fact that nobody seems to believe me when I say that my full legal name is how you see it,” the 23-year-old said.


Bich goes on, “I’ve been accused of using a false and misleading name of which I find very offensive. Is it because I’m Asian? Is it?”


He included a photo of his passport, shown above.


“Having my fb shut down multiple times and forced to change my name to my ‘real’ name, so just to put it out there. My name.”


“Yours sincerely, Phuc Dat Bich.”


A few points worth noting here:


– It’s pronounced Fook Daet Bik in Vietnamese, at least according to the world wide Internets, not what anyone reading this is thinking.


– Phuc traditionally means “blessing.”


– Despite becoming an international story, this is still not as bad as some of the most absurd celebrity baby names of all time.


Nevertheless, Facebook, which requires users to “provide the name they use in real life” for security reasons, really needs to step up here.


Why not have a universal way to verify one’s account? It’s not like an authentication process doesn’t exist, or who gets to use it is even that selective.


If third-rate online journalists or Z-list celebrities like Taylor Lianne Chandler can somehow get the certified blue checkmark, why not Phuc Dat Bich?!


Or these people … just saying: