Monday, October 5, 2015

CC Sabathia Checks Into Rehab, Will Miss Postseason

New York Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia announced today that he is checking into a rehab facility to be treated for alcohol addiction.


The decision comes at an odd time, as the Yankees are preparing to face off against the Houston Astros in a Wild Card playoff game tomorrow. 


Sabathia was expected to be in the team’s postseason rotation.




CC Sabathia



“Today I am checking myself into an alcohol rehabilitation center to receive the professional care and assistance needed to treat my disease,” said Sabathia in a statement released by the Yankees.



“I love baseball and I love my teammates like brothers, and I am also fully aware that I am leaving at a time when we should all be coming together for one last push toward the World Series.


“It hurts me deeply to do this now, but I owe it to myself and to my family to get myself right. I want to take control of my disease, and I want to be a better man, father and player.


“I am looking forward to being out on the field with my team next season playing the game that brings me so much happiness.”


Sabathia was inconsistent and struggled with injuries throughout the season, but he was at the top of his game in recent weeks. 


Sadly, it’s not uncommon for athletes to struggle with addiction. Seeking treatment at such a crucial point in the season, however, is highly unusual.